Our Commitment to Sustainability
The Ship Inn encourages and embraces the concepts of sustainability. Where practical, we prefer suppliers who support this crucial action in growing a more sustainable future for generations to come. We prefer local and seasonal products, and have a preference for organic and biodynamic. Many of our products are sourced from a 200km radius of The Ship Inn.
Some achievements so far include:
- Our lamb is locally sourced from Queensland and northern New South Wales.
- Our beef is locally sourced.
- When fresh and available we use locally caught prawns, straight from the trawler at Cabbage Tree Creek.
- Our eggs are free range and locally laid.
- Our coffee is organic and sourced by Aromas's coffee under the Rainforest Alliance.
- We use Maleny Dairies milk, a small family owned business located just 93 km from the Ship Inn
- We sell Mount Warning sparkling water which is organic and certified carbon neutral.
- We stock Robert Channon's Verdelho & Cabernet Sauvignon, a family owned winery in the Granite Belt district of Queensland.
- We serve Wild Earth wine, from New Zealand, who are guided by an organic approach to minimise their environmental footprint.
- We stock Oyster Bay wine - a founding member of Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand since 1996.
- We are proud to support local & independent breweries and stock a range of beers from Burleigh Brewing Company (QLD), Stone & Wood (NSW), White Rabbit (VIC), Mountain Goat (VIC), Little Creatures (WA) and Monteith's (NZ).
- We stock Squealing Pig Pinot Noir, which is a carbon neutral product.
- We use biodegradable coffee cups with recyclable lids.
- We use recycled and green paper products.
- We are in the process of replacing our light bulbs with energy efficient equivalents.
- Our cooking oil is recycled and converted to biodiesel
- We achieved EcoBiz Partnership at the start of 2012, recognizing our efforts to reduce energy, waste and water consumption.
- We have been presented with the BSB 2012 Sustainability Award.